Thursday, April 22, 2010

Something You Should Never Tell A Pregnant Woman...

First of all, let me start out by saying that I am NOT pregnant. I'll let you know when I am, but that time has not come yet!

Second, there are MANY things that you should not tell a pregnant woman (too many to name and these things vary by woman, by situation, by month, by week, by day, by minute, by second, and by nanosecond).

I was reminded of something that someone said to me when I was pregnant, however, and I thought I would share it here. I, myself, found this comment to be mostly amusing due to its completely off-the-wall and insane nature.

You see, there is a couple in my ward who tend to be somewhat quirky (I won't reveal their identity because I wouldn't want it to get around to those who know them and to those who don't know them...why would they care?). Anyway, early on in my pregnancy, the husband came up to me. He asked me how far along I was. I told him I was 14 weeks along. I didn't know that my comment would prompt him to share one of the most bizarre stories I have ever heard!

He said "Ahhhh. My wife was about 14 weeks along when she miscarried her third pregnancy." I stared blankly (I mean, what do you say to that? Also, what does a pregnant woman who is 14 weeks along say to that?). His story continued..."She talked with her doctor about it and he said she should be able to get pregnant again. However, she miscarried her fourth pregnancy at 14 weeks along too." Again, I thought "uhhhhh...." Then she miscarried her fifth pregnancy at 14 weeks along as well. This time, we saved the fetus to take to the doctor. The doctor again told us that there didn't seem to be any physical reason for the miscarriage and that she should be able to get pregnant again."

I just stood there in silence, speechless. He concluded his tale by telling me that his wife got pregnant a final time and that this time the pregnancy worked out. He then said "When our son was born, he looked exactly like the other fetuses that were aborted and we believe that it was our same son who tried to come down three times to us before, but for whatever reason, he wasn't ready yet and he aborted the pregnancies so that he could have a little more time before coming to earth."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Again, what do you say to that? I mean, first of all, it is such a strange and inappropriate thing to say to a pregnant woman. But even more than that, it is so wrong doctrinally on so many levels! That is not in line with the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Oh, and did I mention that he also told me that they kept the fetus in a jar in their fridge packed in formaldehyde for a few years?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    On a different line, I have a few stories of things that people said to me when I was pregnant. One of the worst was when I was pregnant with Emily, within days of delivery. I thought I looked pretty cute. I had just been out somewhere and stopped at the grocery store to pick up something on the way home. I heard a voice say, "You look as bad as I feel." I turned around and there was another pregnant woman with her stomach down around her knees, bags under her eyes, and uncombed hair. I just thought, "Thank you. I thought I looked okay until you knocked that notion out of my head."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! What? Don't you keep your fetuses in the fridge? :-) What a great quirky story.

    ReplyDelete